On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 09:31:18PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> >> (or big chunks of it) over to your other workstations.
> >
> > Puppet seems like overkill for what I need.  I think all I really need
> > is something to manage config file differences and user accounts.  At
> > this point I'm thinking I shouldn't push packages themselves, but
> > portage config files and then let each laptop emerge unattended based
> > on those portage configs.  I'm going to bring this to the 'salt'
> > mailing list to see if it might be a good fit.  It seems like a much
> > lighter weight application.
>
> Two general points I can add:
>
> 1. Sharing config files turns out to be really hard. By far the easiest
> way is to just share /etc but that is an all or nothing approach, and
> you just need one file to be different to break it. Like /etc/hostname
>
> You *could* create a "share" directory inside /etc and symlink common
> files in there, but that gets very tedious quickly.

How about using something like unison? I've been using it for a while
now to sync a specific subset of ~ between three computers.
It allows for exclude rules for host-specific stuff.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

No, you *can’t* call 999 now.  I’m downloading my mail.