Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 03:38:16PM -0600, Dale wrote
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I have noticed something that really bugs me.  I sometimes have a few
>> Firefox sessions running.  I do this because I have to be logged into a
>> website with more than one user/password.  Here is my issue.  If I click
>> the X box to close a session of Firefox, it doesn't seem to kill the
>> process.  I end up having to go to a Konsole and killing the process
>> with either the kill command or pkill.  Naturally, all the processes are
>> named Firefox so I can't tell one from the other.  That leads to me
>> killing the wrong one at times.
>>
>> My question is this, why does Firefox not kill its processes as it
>> should?  When I click the X and it closes, it should kill the process
>> right?  When it does not kill correctly and I try to restart that
>> session, I get the error that the session is already running.
>   Long story short... "there can only be one" Firefox process *PER USER*
> at any given time.  Seriously... as regular user open up multiple
> Firefox windows, and execute...
>
> ps -ef | grep firefox
>
> and you'll get something like...
>
> [i660][waltdnes][~] ps -ef | grep firefox
> waltdnes 28696 11663  2 19:35 pts/22   00:00:07 firefox
> waltdnes 28836 28825  0 19:39 pts/30   00:00:00 grep --color=auto firefox
>
>   Only one Firefox process exists.  (I can't seem to prevent the grep
> command from listing itself).

I don't know whether to say you are wrong or on to something.  LOL  When
I have three sessions running here, I get this:

root@fireball / # ps aux | grep /usr/bin/firefox
dale       956 16.7  1.6 1461568 267380 ?      Sl   21:35   0:08
/usr/bin/firefox -p -no-remote
root      9148  0.0  0.0  10820   944 pts/2    S+   21:36   0:00 grep
--colour=auto /usr/bin/firefox
dale     18079  5.1  6.1 2396368 1016416 ?     Sl   19:00   7:59
/usr/bin/firefox -p -no-remote
dale     18394  2.0  5.1 2082772 839044 ?      Sl   19:05   3:05
/usr/bin/firefox -p -no-remote
root@fireball / #

Note there is a process for each session running with a different PID.
>From my understanding, and the reason for me using different sessions in
the first place, each session is completely separate.  A site that I
volunteer on, I have three accounts there.  My personal account, a
moderator account and a admin account.  I have a separate session for
each one which because they use different user name/passwords must be
run separately.  At times, I need to switch between users very quickly.
So, it appears that each process runs its own PID and is separate.  Sort
of anyway.  Again, that could be the problem but here is why I don't
think it is.  I have this same issue with Seamonkey even when there is
only one process running.  It's not as often but it does happen.  I have
also had this happen when there is only one session of Firefox running
as well.  Then there is the other processes that I have trouble getting
to die as well.  Some not even related to a GUI.  When I switch to the
boot runlevel, I have to manually kill several processes to get down to
the things that should be running and nothing else.

Oh, even if I close all the sessions, I still run into the issue of
having to kill the processes.  When they die, they all die as they
should.  When it is not dying as it should, none of them die until I
kill them.  It's either feast or famine.

Again, could be on to something or maybe not.  Open to ideas tho.  I'm
hoping the new info may help.

>> This has been going on for a while.  What can I look for or do to
>> correct this?
>   There is a workaround/kludge/ugly-hack.  Notice that I said one
> process *PER USER*.  I have another user "user2" that I log in as to
> occasionally maintain "static" stuff that I only want my regular login
> to only see, but not modify/delete/etc.  If you create a second user
> (let's call it "user2"), you can do the following...
>
> # Allow other logins/users on the same machine to use your display
> xhost +127.0.0.1
>
> # Open up up an xterm/wahtever and
> su - user2
> # Give password, and then, as user2
> firefox
>
>   As my regular user "waltdnes", I can then...
> [i660][waltdnes][~] ps -ef | grep firefox
> waltdnes 28696 11663  2 19:35 pts/22   00:00:07 firefox
> user2    28791 28780  2 19:38 pts/9    00:00:01 firefox
> waltdnes 28836 28825  0 19:39 pts/30   00:00:00 grep --color=auto firefox
>
>   From the "ps" output, "waltdnes" is running Firefox with pid 28696,
> and "user" as pid "28791".  You can issue a "kill" command for the
> appropriate pid.  Note that unless you're root, you can only kill your
> own processes.

I almost always have a Konsole running as root.  Seems there is always
something that requires root permission to do.

Open to ideas still.  It's annoying so I'd like a fix.  ;-)  I may have
a idea tho.  Hey guys, watch this.  O_O

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!