On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 16:01:14 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16/01/2014 15:21, Gevisz wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:30:29 +0000
> > Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Have you tried media-video/handbrake? It's straightforward to use
> >> and comes with plenty of preset output settings.
> >
> > No.
> >
> > I am afraid of installing a package that is masked in Gentoo
> > portage tree.
> >
> > emerge --search handbrake
> > Searching...
> > [ Results for search key : handbrake ]
> > [ Applications found : 1 ]
> >
> > *  media-video/handbrake [ Masked ]
> >       Latest version available: 9999
> >       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> >       Size of files: 0 kB
> >       Homepage:      http://handbrake.fr/
> >   multithreaded video transcoder. License:       GPL-2
> >
> > May be, something else?
>

> don't use emerge -s to look for stuffs. It's slow and never shows the
> full picture. Use app-portage/eix instead:

Thank you for your advice. emerge --search is indeed very slow.

> # eix handbrake
> [I] media-video/handbrake
>      Available versions:  (~)0.9.9 **9999 {fdk ffmpeg gstreamer gtk}
>      Installed versions:  0.9.9(15:09:43 18/10/2013)(ffmpeg gstreamer
> gtk -fdk)
>      Homepage:            http://handbrake.fr/
> multithreaded video transcoder.
>

> handbrake-0.9.9 works very well indeed but it's ~arch. If you don't
> see it in your output, you need to --sync

Last time, I updated my portage tree on January 11, 2014.
So, it is something different. May be, ~amd64.

> Incidentally, there's nothing bad about installing that package's 9999
> version. It's masked because it's in the source repo (all
> cvs/svn/git/etc sources are always masked so they don't get installed
> accidentally). But keeping them current is a pain.

Thank you for information, but so far I am trying to keep my system as
close to the main portage tree as possible and really afraid of any
masked packaged and even the packages from other overlays.

By the way, is there any way to find why any given package is masked
in the main portage tree?

Back to the main topic.

I have found out the ffmpeg can convert dav to avi but it also
outputs a lot of error messages. May be, because I use some wrong
options? I use:

ffmpeg -i input.dav -vcodec libx264 -crf 24 output.avi

The error messages are like these:

missing picture in access unit with size 27time=00:00:04.92 bitrate=
171.6kbits/s non-existing PPS 1 referencedze=     145kB
time=00:00:08.00 bitrate= 148.5kbits/s [h264 @ 0x2b30ca0]
decode_slice_header error [h264 @ 0x2b30ca0] no frame!
Error while decoding stream #0:0: Operation not permitted
Partitioned H.264 support is incomplete7kB time=00:00:26.04 bitrate=
143.8kbits/s Error while decoding stream #0:0: Operation not permitted
non-existing PPS referencedsize=     689kB time=00:00:37.52 bitrate=
150.4kbits/s [h264 @ 0x2a84ac0] non-existing PPS 1 referenced
[h264 @ 0x2a84ac0] decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 0x2a84ac0] no frame!
[h264 @ 0x2ac9800] Missing reference picture, default is 0
[h264 @ 0x2ac9800] decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 0x2b30ca0] mmco: unref short failure
Error while decoding stream #0:0: Operation not permitted
illegal POC type 32 q=29.0 size=    1077kB time=00:00:58.20 bitrate=
151.5kbits/s [h264 @ 0x2a84ac0] illegal POC type 32
    Last message repeated 1 times
FMO not supported47 q=29.0 size=    1239kB time=00:01:07.12 bitrate=
151.2kbits/s [h264 @ 0x232e4a0] reference overflow (pps)
[h264 @ 0x2ac9800] FMO not supported
[h264 @ 0x2ac9800] reference overflow (pps)