On 02/05/14 13:06, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Joseph <syscon...@gmail.com> wrote:

[ humongous snip ]

4. Using systemd is more than just emerging it; you need to change
your init= line in grub-legacy or GRUB2 and reboot. The contents of
/proc/1/comm is "systemd"?

I only have this:
cat /proc/1/comm
init

[ snip ]

systemctl --all --full
Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager.

loginctl
Failed to issue method call: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

Joseph, you are not running systemd. You have systemd *installed*, but
you are still *running* OpenRC. Therefore, your system is obviously
going to fail, since at least some parts of it believe you are running
systemd when you are not.

If you use GRUB, you need to change its config file and add the
following to your kernel command line:

init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd

If you are using GRUB2, change /etc/default/grub and modify
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX so it has "init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd". Then run
grub2-mkconfig again.

Beware, systemd requires some kernel config options set or it will not
work. For systemd 208, these are:

AUTOFS4_FS
BLK_DEV_BSG
CGROUPS
DEVTMPFS
DMIID
EPOLL
FANOTIFY
FHANDLE
INOTIFY_USER
IPV6
NET
PROC_FS
SECCOMP
SIGNALFD
SYSFS
TIMERFD

Also, the following kernel config options should *NOT* be set:

IDE
SYSFS_DEPRECATED
SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2
GRKERNSEC_PROC

Lastly, if you have /usr in a different partition from /, you *need*
an initramfs (this is now true also for OpenRC). Please check the
instructions set in:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd

To finish, let me remark that systemd never had problems in your
system. The problem was that you were not running systemd.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Thank you for correction.  You are correct I would need to switch to new
systemd.
I think for now I'll go back to udev as I'm afraid something might not work
after switching :-/

--
Joseph