On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Joseph <syscon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/05/14 14:02, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

>>> Thank you for correction.  You are correct I would need to switch to new
>>> systemd.
>>> I think for now I'll go back to udev as I'm afraid something might not
>>> work
>>> after switching :-/
>>

>> Why don't you give it a try? You are almost there.
>>
>> When booting, edit the grub entry and add
>> init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd. If it works, great; otherwise, you
>> reboot and get back to where you were.
>>
>> Regards.
>> --
>> Canek Peláez Valdés
>> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>

> I've tried to switch my backup system to systemd by adding line
> init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd to grub donfig and as I suspected the system
> did not boot. I got a kernel paanic.
> can not open root device "hda3" or unknown block (0,0): error -6

It probably could be fixed, but it will take time and info about your
system (partition arrangement, if you use or not an initramfs, how do
you created it, etc.)

Perhaps you would prefer to get back to OpenRC+udev. Just be aware
that, if you had installed systemd, it was because something requires
it. If you don't use systemd, you will have degraded functionality,
since more and more things require systemd or parts of it
(specifically logind). This not only applies to GNOME 3, but also to
Xfce (which uses a lot of GNOME/Gtk+/glib infrastructure). KDE is also
analyzing how to better use systemd provided technologies.

You can try to set USE="-systemd consolekit" and do a emerge -uDNv
world. That will bring back much (but not all) of the functionality;
just be aware that ConsoleKit is unmaintained and it will eventually
bitrot.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés