On 14/02/14 14:59, Edward M wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:55:19 +0200
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 13/02/2014 18:35, Edward M wrote:

>>> Alan,
>>>
>>>   I want to apologized I did not thanked you for the great advice
>>> you gave me. I noticed  this this morning when I re-read my emails.
>>>
>>>   Best Regards.
>>

>> No problem. Come check my inbox sometime, any given mail stands a 1
>> in 3 chance of being answered at all :-)
>>
>> I see earlier in the thread someone mentioned sharing the portage tree
>> over NFS. Now this is by far the best solution of all in terms of
>> outright performance; but be warned up front - there are pitfalls.
>>
>> NFS is nothing like setting up a Windows share, and there's nothing
>> about it that just magically works. Folks new to Linux often have
>> heaps of trouble with it (mostly because NFS assumes you are going to
>> do a whole lot of heavy lifting yourself and you have already dealt
>> with the tricky issue of keeping user accounts in sync, and
>> permission woes). So by all means use NFS, just know upfront the
>> learning curve is steepish, and the good folks on this list can give
>> tons of good advice as well as get you through the arcane basics :-)
>

>   Thank you for this valuable advice.
>   I have been doing some research using bing and google and I found some
>   howtos,docs setting up NFS portage. hope they work.  thanks again

An easier method than NFS that avoids some of the pitfalls is
http-replicator.  Works like an upstream mirror - the first request
causes the files to be downloaded to the cache and supplied to the host
- then the next host to need the same files gets served from the cache.
 Also handles parallel requests unlike NFS.

BillK