On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 19:03:10 +0100
eroen <er...@falcon.eroen.eu> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:40:22 -0800, Edward M
> <edwardm.gentoo.j...@live.com> wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Been busy learning Linux :-) got new email other was getting
> > crowded. I'm planing on installing Gentoo on a few systems and I
> > was wondering to save bandwidth, i could install portage to the
> > other Gentoo installs from my system instead downloading from
> > mirrors?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> Setting up a local rsync mirror for a portage tree is fairly simple,
> you share the working tree at /usr/portage on a local server to
> the network and make sure the server is up-to-date before syncing
> other clients to it. This is documented in [1]. After setting up the
> mirror, you only need to sync-uri in /etc/portage/repos.conf on the
> other (local) clients. See portage(5)[2], section 'repos.conf' and
> make.conf(5)[3], section 'SYNC' for details on client configuration.
> Please *do* read those sections, as much of the information on the
> wiki regarding the SYNC variable is outdated.
>
> For sharing distfiles between hosts, a http server sharing the
> distfiles folder and prepending the server's uri to GENTOO_MIRRORS in
> make.conf[3] might be sufficient for your needs. If the installs are
> not homogenous, you can even set up http servers on all of them, and
> add all the other local hosts to GENTOO_MIRRORS.
>
> You might want to skim through the FEATURES section in make.conf(5)[3]
> for using local distfiles mirrors, as some of them can improve the
> usefulness of the mirror significantly.
>
> NFS is another possibility for both portage tree and distfiles and can
> reduce total disk space needs, but it incurs significant network
> latency which is especially noticeable for portage trees. I use it
> myself for virtual machines, but would not suggest it for use over a
> physical network. Also note that portage has PORTAGE_RO_DISTDIRS[3] as
> an alternative to GENTOO_MIRRORS for eg. read-only *mounted* network
> shares which may provide some extra flexibility.
>
> 1:
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Rsync#Setting_up_your_own_local_rsync_mirror
> 2: https://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/portage.5.html 3:
> https://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/make.conf.5.html

     Thank you for suppling  great lesson and links. I will go over the
     sections you mentioned and take notes. I will be having fun this
     weekend...configuring Gentoo, with all the great knowledge i was
     given from kind Gentoo users. Thanks again.

     Best regards,
     Ed
--

Learing Linux with Gentoo to earn LPIC1.