On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 14:30:10 -0600
Daniel Campbell <li...@sporkbox.us> wrote:

> [...]
> > proposed init systems.
> >
> > Regards.
> > --
> > Canek Peláez Valdés
> > Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
> > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
> >

> The lack of foresight on social and political ramifications is
> epidemic to most of the FOSS world, as evidenced by the creeping
> adoption of systemd. Things are already depending on things that
> systemd provides, and is dividing the ecosystem into "systemd" vs
> "everything else". Ambitious projects like systemd are damaging to
> the rich variety that should be found in the FOSS ecosystem. systemd
> in particular encourages embracing vertical integration and rejection
> of POSIX and UNIX principles. Its culture is adversarial to anyone
> who doubts the Great Image that Lennart and his employer has. If it
> were a project that was humble, without an agenda, and did not
> undergo evangelism, I'd have no problems with it because choice is
> something that I value immensely. But because it *isn't* humble,
> *has* an agenda, only reached the adoption it currently has by *lots*
> of arguing and pushing, and refuses to coexist with other init
> systems, I cannot respect it as a legitimate, non-aggressive,
> non-intrusive software project. I consider it a toxic threat to FOSS
> and refuse to have it on any system I maintain.
>
> systemd has technical merits (cgroups, socket activation, parellel
> execution of daemons, etc), but they fall by the wayside and become
> irrelevant to me when it swallows the functionality of multiple
> projects that should be separate (see: udev) and tries to be
> everything to everyone (splash image, web server, boot time graphs,
> etc). The social tactics at work from the systemd team (and verily,
> other Red Hat projects like GNOME) are reminiscent of Microsoft
> through the use of the "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" methodology.
> With their paid developers and more abundant resources, Red Hat (and
> arguably other corporations) can use their developers to push their
> agendas and, in a sense, commandeer control of the FOSS world. I will
> give them no inch on my systems. I am skeptical of their involvement
> in the kernel, as well.
>
> It's sad to see Debian giving into peer pressure. I honestly thought
> that they would see the agenda miles away and prevent a monoculture.
> For people who are technically intelligent, they're seriously lacking
> any foresight in their decisions and are completely blind to the
> social and political ramifications. Distros will regret depending on
> such a project and it will set GNU/Linux development back many years
> when systemd becomes a full stack and working without it is made
> difficult or impractical (through the use of lock-in tactics). I hope
> that Gentoo continues to be a safe haven for choice and the spirit of
> FOSS. Without it, I may have to concede and either start building my

Thank you for the explanation. I suspected this yet from the beginning
of this discussion and waited for such or similar explanations.

Technically, I so far know a very little on this subject
and only suspect :-) that my Gentoo system uses openrc.

I am quite satisfied with it and afraid of switching Gentoo default to
systemd.

However, I do understand your arguments concerning Ubuntu and Gnome.

This year I put them both into a recycle bin as I very well felt their
"Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish" tactics.

Just my two cents too. :-)