On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 22:53:12 +0400
the <the.gu...@mail.ru> wrote:

> On 02/18/14 17:56, Gevisz wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 23:30:42 -0600 Canek Peláez Valdés
> > <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Gevisz <gev...@gmail.com>
> >> wrote: [ snip ]
> >>
> >> By writing correct code?
> >
> > No, by arguing that fixing bugs in a 200K line program is as easy
> > as fixing a bug in 20 10K line programs. It is just not true, just
> > the opposite.

> >> My PhD thesis (which I will defend in a few weeks) is in
> >> computer science, specifically computational geometry and
> >> combinatorics.
> >
> > It is even more shameful for you to not understand such a simple
> > facts from elementary probability theory (which is mostly based on
> > combinatorics).
> TBH I don't understand your estimate. Where did permutations come
> from? are you comparing all the different combinations of lines of
> code?

I just wanted to convey that, if an involved program is n times longer,
than another one, it does not, in general, true that it will take only
n times more time to find a bug. The dependence here would be nonlinear
and with much more steep growth than the linear one, just because all
the possible ways to go wrong grows proportional to permutations, not
necessary of lines but at least of some other units whose number is
roughly proportional to the number of lines.