On 2014-02-20 1:36 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
The moment I saw that the profile is already done, I changed my
mind; the people using systemd ALREADY did the work (which seems to be
trivial, BTW; I didn't knew that either), therefore no one is trying
forcing anyone to do work, then a systemd profile is fine (since it's
already done).

Well, sort of... there are currently only two systemd profiles (gnome and kde).

Is someone wants to use systemd with any of the other predefined profiles, ie:

default/linux/amd64/13.0

then their current choice is to change to systemd manually (which as you and others have pointed out doesn't seem to be that big a deal), or, if they wanted to make it easier for anyone/everyone else (which, I believe, as a systemd proponent, you would be in favor of) to choose systemd at install time, they could do the work of creating a new systemd version of each of the other profiles.

Hmmm...

Thinking about this more, since apparently using a separate profile may just be 'overkill', how about something simpler, like, for example, using eselect...

Something like:

 # eselect init list
Available init systems:
  [1]   OpenRC *
  [2]   systemd
  [3]   runit

(whatever choices are supported).

Or am I just being ridiculous?

This is orthogonal to which init system is the default, I think.

No, actually, I think whatever is defined as the current default should dictate which group should be required to do the work.

I was just arguing that if a group A of people want a profile X, that
group A of people must do the work to get said profile X working. In
the case of systemd, that means *using* systemd, so it made no sense
to me that the group A did the work, when they *do not* want to use
systemd.

?

If Group A wants to be able to easily use systemd in gentoo, then Group A people must get together and create systemd version of all of the profiles they want to be able to use systemd with... ie, if they want a hardened amd64 systemd profile, they would have to create one.

Once again, all of this is made moot by the fact that the systemd
profile is basically available now. But that does not change my point
that if someone wants a X profile, then the burden of work must fall
on that someone.

I agree... but since OpenRC is the default init system for gentoo, and certain people want to make it easier for people to install and/or switch to systemd in gentoo, then it is on *those* people to do the work.

I'm still not sure why we are still discussing this... ;)

Maybe a language thing?