Am 22.02.2014 15:47, schrieb Peter Humphrey:

> I find though that fstrim can't operate on /boot, which is a separate ext2
> file
> system. It reports:
>       fstrim: /boot: FITRIM ioctl failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> Is this because it's an ext2 partition, not ext4 like the rest of them? Man
> fstrim makes no mention of file-system types.

Yes, only ext4 of the extX file systems supports discard/trim

> Maybe I've not laid out the partitions properly. I used gparted from a recent
> System Rescue CD (http://sysresccd.org), which said it was leaving 1MB unused
> before /dev/sda1.
>
> While I'm here, would anyone like to suggest suitable parameters to mkfs for
> any of my file-systems? Here's the fstab:
>
> /dev/sda1       /boot                   ext2    noauto,relatime         1 2
> /dev/sda2       none                    swap    sw                      0 0
> /dev/sda5       /                       ext4    relatime                0 1
> /dev/sda6       /var                    ext4    relatime                0 2
> /dev/sda7       /home                   ext4    relatime                0 2
> /dev/sda8       /var/cache/squid        ext4    relatime                0 3
> /dev/sda9       /usr/portage            ext4    relatime                0 3
> /dev/sda10      /usr/portage/packages   ext4    relatime                0 4
> /dev/sda11      /usr/local              ext4    relatime                0 2
> proc            /proc                   proc    defaults                0 0
> tmpfs           /tmp                    tmpfs   nodev,nosuid            0 0
> tmpfs           /var/tmp                tmpfs   nodev,nosuid            0 0
> shm             /dev/shm                tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noexec     0 0
>
> I created all the ext4 file-systems with -O ^has_journal to avoid
> concentrated
> wear. Is this still a good idea nowadays? I'm happy to sacrifice the comfort
> of
> journalling since recovering this small box from backup is so quick and easy.
> Of course I did plenty of googling before doing anything and picked out what
> still seemed appropriate, but I could easily have missed something important.

I used the default options for ext4 on my SSDs. The only thing I do is,
I set noatime in fstab. But I do this for all file systems.

My oldest SSD is from 2008/2009, I'm not sure. It's a 32GB SuperTalent,
and it still runs great today. And I did not care for low writes etc. I
just used it like any other disk.