On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 03:07:09AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote

> We don't do error handling. We don't even try and deal with it at the
> point it occurred, we just chuck it back up the stack, essentially
> giving them message "stuff it, I'm not dealing with this. You called me,
> you fix it."

  The developer is not going to be psychic to the point of knowing what
the user *WANTED* to do, years after the code was written... or which
different users were expecting which different outcomes.  E.g. if
portage encounters a problem during a build, do you *REALLY* want it to
jump in and randomly patch source code and/or makefiles to get it
working?  NO!!! You want it to halt, with an informative error message,
possibly including suggestions for corrective action.  If I mistakenly
tell a system to do B, really meaning do A, that's my fault.  If I tell
it to do A, and it decides to do B, I will be extremely p'd off.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>