On 25/02/2014 14:40, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2014-02-24 4:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In Gentoo you need systemd, but that's a decision from the Gentoo
>> maintainers. They do the job, they make the choices.
>
> Interesting. Now I have to spin off a new thread as to why this decision
> was made if it isn't forced by GNOME itself...

Gnome uses logind, Canek has consistently stated that for months now.

logind is part of systemd (AIUI it's more "bundled" than "a chunk of a
monolothic lump") and replaces consolekit.

The feature set of logind can be implemented in something else. Or, that
functionality in previous Gnome versions forward-ported to 3.10 to be
able to drop logind as a dep.

OpenBSD would have had little choice in this as systemd doesn't run on
OpenBSD - systemd uses many features unique to the Linux kernel. So they
would have had to do *something* about logind. Whatever they did, it
would have been a non-trivial amount of work.

I suspect the Gentoo Gnome maintainers were not prepared to, or don't
have the manpower, to do the same on Gentoo so took the easier route of
depending on systemd.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com