[snip]
> Ok, now we're talking. When you enter Grub this way it doesn't care
> about an existing configuration - so IMHO no problem there.
> Here's what
> I would do:
>
> 1. Check if top shows reasonable results - if not step 3
> 2. Re-emerge grub - if that doesn't help - step 3
> 3. memtest86 for a day

Re-emerge and re-install Grub.  If Grub hangs when you try to install
it, which I assume is what is happening, then you can try starting as: #
grub --no-floppy, to see if it works.  Grub hanging basically implies
that there's a hardware hick up of some sort.

If Lilo works fine regardless and re-emerging/re-installing Grub does
not resolve the problem, could you please show us your Lilo config file
to see if we can draw some parallels between the two boot loaders.
--
Regards,
Mick