On 21/03/2014 23:57, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 02:29:48PM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote
>
>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Procmail
>>
>> "The mailing list etiquette requires people to CC all the people
>> involved in a particular thread in replies to the mailing list, in case
>> any of them is not subscribed."
>
>   How does one send email to *THIS* list, without being subscribed in
> the first place?  A bugzilla mailing list is a different matter.  A web
> form bug submission goes to a list, which the submitter is probably not
> subscribed to.  Developers do need to CC their replies to the original
> submitter to let them know what's happening.  But I'm not aware of any
> such mechanism on this list.  If someone is involved in a thread here,
> then they've obviously subscribed here.  So the CC: is redundant.
>
>   Speaking of procmail+formail, I use them to tame the lists that follow
> Chip Rosenthal's ideas.  E.g., if this list did that, I would use...
>
> :0 fhw
>   | formail -i "Reply-To: gentoo-user@lists\.gentoo\.org (Gentoo users)"
>
>   I do this to the few lists I run into that I want/need, which blindly
> follow Chip's ideas.

Chip Rosenthal? yeah, he's the "Reply-To munging considered harmful" fellow

Trouble is, he argues from a theoretical position and ignores what
people actually do with lists. There's two main uses:

1. a distribution mechanism to reach all subscribers and/or where you
don;t have to be subscribed to post. For these you really don't want to
munge Reply-To

2. A discussion forum. For these you do munge Reply-To: to be the list
so all discussion happens on-list and is visible to all

gentoo-user has always been the latter and all discussion always takes
place on-list. If some doc somewhere says otherwise, change the doc to
reflect reality.

I utterly fail to see why so many folks on the internet can't see why
there's two kinds of lists...   I think I'm going to compose an essay;

"Chip Rosenthal and his detractors all considered harmful"

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com