On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 12:57:40 +0200
Matti Nykyri <matti.nyk...@iki.fi> wrote:

> I agree. I think it is arrogant to disturb lots of people that have
> done nothing to deserve it. People should be let to choose them self
> what they wanna do with their lives. If they wish to disengage some
> conversation, let them. Don't send them spam.

spam is send to a large number of recipients; I don't see how what is
discussing here is doing that, apart from extending this discussion.
It's not arrogant; it's a technical difference, which sets up different
approaches. That's why developers are requested to follow the etiquette.

> The ones who wish to participate will stay on the list and the ones
> seeking for an answer can browse the archives.

People that participate maybe are on the list and the ones seeking
for an answer might browse the archives.

> Please respect other people.

Here's something that works for the both of us: Request someone to not
CC you in a follow-up mail when you catch them do it, they'll respect
that; that's a guarantee that we can be certain that you are subscribed.

That way; you respect that I want to spent my time to be guaranteed to
be useful, I respect that you don't want to be CC-ed in follow-up mails.

Similarly; if someone is off-list; it takes a single mail to keep me
from sending additional mails. As it clarifies a disengagement; that
unsubscribing is meant to be a disengagement, I can't find that rule...

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D