On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 09:35:50 -0400
Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> On 3/21/2014 5:57 PM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> > How does one send email to*THIS*  list, without being subscribed in
> > the first place?  A bugzilla mailing list is a different matter.
>
> I think that is the main and primary point.
>
> I loathe lists that allow posts from non subscribers
> (<spit>libreoffice users</spit>), because it creates this exact
> problem.

We could fix *THIS* list to not allow that to exist; given that change,
I'm fine with dropping CC on every mail on *THIS* list. Furthermore,
I've asked in another mail how to set this per folder in my mail
client; which should allow me to conform to the wishes of a list.

> But in those cases, it should be on those who wish to leech (ask
> questions/get help from the list without having to subscribe) to
> proactively get their answers, by reading the archives on the web,
> etc.

People participate in more than just this list; at that point, there's
a lot to check up with. It creates an information overflow; or
rather, too much to check up on. This is why notifications were
invented on various new and modern websites; though, given that mailing
list archives date from a while ago, such notifications are not yet
present on such services. Up to a point that the user is unaware of
that; even when using the web form where they had to fill in their
mail, 'cause why did they have to fill in their mail there anyway?

> The burden absolutely should NEVER be on the list participants to try
> to figure out who needs to be individually CC'd on replies and who
> doesn't.

But given the technical difficulties, there is such a burden on us;
that's why it is part of the mailing list etiquette that I follow and
are requested to follow by other Gentoo developers.

> Of course, if someone asks a question on such a list, and they
> specifically mention they are not subscribed and ask to be directly
> CC'd, then that is the one case when doing so is ok.

If they are aware; but see my response to leeching, are they aware?

> But to blindly do this to everyone on the list just to insure that
> your oh-so-valuable reply makes it to the OP is just the height of
> arrogance and conceit.

This isn't done blindly; I check up the rules and FAQ prior to do doing
it, as well as listen to participants that warn me early. In this case,
for the Gentoo mailing lists, the mailing list etiquette was brought to
my attention and therefore I have been CC-ing for hundreds of e-mails
without any remarks (and most people just repsond), to be surprised
that a whole discussion about it is started here. It isn't arrogance or
conceit; rather, it is being consistent and following etiquette.

You should note that the early part of this discussion is based on one
or two individuals that appear as inconsistent; however, given there
are more people that voice this now, _I am concerned_ to change it
specifically for those who request it and we could solve the technical
difficulty by reducing the problem by requesting off-list replies to be
disallowed and/or adapting the mail to new subscribers to mention that
if they want to be CC-ed that they should explicitly mention that.

Yes, I am inconsistent with *THIS* mailing list; let's change things to
make such inconsistency unnecessary, to fix this forever and always.

Otherwise we'll continue to get responses like these

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/273297

while we could just make those "do not ..." no longer necessary.

Sorry for the hassle and thanks for the understanding.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D