Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 3/21/2014 5:57 PM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
>> How does one send email to*THIS*  list, without being subscribed in
>> the first place?  A bugzilla mailing list is a different matter.
>
> I think that is the main and primary point.
>
> I loathe lists that allow posts from non subscribers
> (<spit>libreoffice users</spit>), because it creates this exact problem.
>
> But in those cases, it should be on those who wish to leech (ask
> questions/get help from the list without having to subscribe) to
> proactively get their answers, by reading the archives on the web, etc.
>
> The burden absolutely should NEVER be on the list participants to try
> to figure out who needs to be individually CC'd on replies and who
> doesn't.
>
> Of course, if someone asks a question on such a list, and they
> specifically mention they are not subscribed and ask to be directly
> CC'd, then that is the one case when doing so is ok. But to blindly do
> this to everyone on the list just to insure that your oh-so-valuable
> reply makes it to the OP is just the height of arrogance and conceit.

Exactly.  I been on this list about a decade now.  In that time, I have
seen maybe a handful of people that requested a CC.  I seem to vaguely
recall one that couldn't access his regular email program, using
different computer or something I guess, and didn't want to subscribe
with the email addy he was currently using.  The folks that were helping
him did CC him since in that case, he needed it.  That was a really long
time ago.  In recent history tho, I don't recall anyone requesting a CC
at all.  If they did, it was on a thread that I did not read.  I usually
at least try to read the first post to see if I can be of help.

It seems that after burning a few bridges tho, this one finally
understood the point.  Time will tell I guess.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!