Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Howdy,
>
> This is confusing.  A month or so ago, my HP 5300C scanner worked just
> fine.

Hello Dale,

I always keep old (very old) backups of the config file in
/etc/cups to see if when a software upgrade occurs, or
I have to use the admin page of cups to update/modify/test
print/scanner hardware. So it's an easy check therein, if
you kept old copies in /etc/cups. Sometimes newer versions
of cups do not work well with older or obscure features of
various printers/scanners.

As far as USB goes, the device's device driver could have been
change or it, as a legacy (usb) device became a new part of
one of the "unified" device drivers. You'll have to research that
or build a new/test kernel with all sorts of USB drivers enabled.
You definately have a usb issue, at the very least.

If those (2) ideas do not bear fruit, find a "usb sniffer" and use
that. You might have to go to a windows box to test the scanner too.
Not likely, but the usb chip could have went bad....

http://vusb-analyzer.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/

or general usb tools (may) help:
app-admin/usbview
sys-apps/usbmon
sys-apps/usbutils
etc......
............many more usb sniffer too.................

Just eliminate the possibilities.
I'd test it on a windows box if necessary too.

This all begs the question of how it was set up :
(after the usb issue is resolved).

hplip, cups,  *sane*, ???

hth,
James