James wrote:
> Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> This is confusing.  A month or so ago, my HP 5300C scanner worked just
>> fine.
>
> Hello Dale,
>
> I always keep old (very old) backups of the config file in
> /etc/cups to see if when a software upgrade occurs, or
> I have to use the admin page of cups to update/modify/test
> print/scanner hardware. So it's an easy check therein, if
> you kept old copies in /etc/cups. Sometimes newer versions
> of cups do not work well with older or obscure features of
> various printers/scanners.
>
> As far as USB goes, the device's device driver could have been
> change or it, as a legacy (usb) device became a new part of
> one of the "unified" device drivers. You'll have to research that
> or build a new/test kernel with all sorts of USB drivers enabled.
> You definately have a usb issue, at the very least.
>
> If those (2) ideas do not bear fruit, find a "usb sniffer" and use
> that. You might have to go to a windows box to test the scanner too.
> Not likely, but the usb chip could have went bad....
>
> http://vusb-analyzer.sourceforge.net/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/
>
> or general usb tools (may) help:
> app-admin/usbview
> sys-apps/usbmon
> sys-apps/usbutils
> etc......
> ............many more usb sniffer too.................
>
> Just eliminate the possibilities.
> I'd test it on a windows box if necessary too.
>

> This all begs the question of how it was set up :
> (after the usb issue is resolved).
>
> hplip, cups,  *sane*, ???
>
> hth,
> James

I did use sane to set it up.  Well, I installed the sane package and to
be honest, it just sort of worked without me doing anything that I
recall.  I might add, I now have a USB mouse, try finding a PS/2 mouse
at short notice.  The scanner is plugged into the port right next to it
right now.   I did however try other ports that I know work because I
can use USB sticks in them.  So, it's either some broken upgrade of
something or as much as I hate to say it, my scanner needs to be buried.

For some reason, I didn't even try hplip for scanning.  It never
occurred to me.  I have xsane and Skanlite installed and use those.
They say it can't find the scanner.  I figure until it shows up on the
lsusb list, nothing is going to work regardless of what front end I use.

I didn't get a chance to today but tomorrow I plan to go to my brother's
and plug the scanner into his computer.  He uses Kubuntu.  If the
scanner works there, then it is something to do with my rig.  If it
don't show up on lsusb there either, I need to go buy a shovel and find
a comfy spot in the back 40.  :-(

Thanks.  I'll post when I get to test some more.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!