Jes__s Garc__a Crespo (aka Sevein) schreef:
> Hi! I don't understand why gpm was included in the Gentoo base
> system. It was not in there before and I didn't find information
> about the reasons. But I could tell you my case: I installed Gentoo
> in my dedicated server in EEUU (I am from Spain) and I had to
> uninstall gpm since I won't use it anymore. I think that, for
> example, dhcpcd would be more logical to be included than gpm, don't
>  you think so?

....why would I think so? gpm and dhcpcd don't have anything to do with
each other.

gpm

dhcpcd

Actually, I find having gpm available quite useful, because without it,
you can't very easily copy and paste in the console (I can manage this
with a mouse available to select the text; even in nano, I'm not so
successful with using the keyboard alone to edit/move text around. I
have many such failings).

I don't actually know that dhcpcd is *not* included in the base system,
but assuming that it isn't, I would assume that dhcp, which includes
the server as well as the client, would be much more 'generally' useful
than just the client, as far as 'less config' goes, since otherwise the
base install would have to be further targeted (use this tarball if you
have a DHCP server-- which many people don't even know what DHCP is in
the first place-- and use this one if you don't, etc.).

Holly