On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 01:32:46PM -0400, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote

> On 04/29/2014 12:27 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >
> >   Another couple of things I didn't realize.  According to
> > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dm-crypt I have to build in support for the
> > crypt target in the kernel.  It also suggests
> > <*> SHA224 and SHA256 digest algorithm
> >
> >   Any comments on their strength?  I'm not worried about the NSA or CSIS
> > as much as opportunistic criminals.
>
> I use whirlpool.  Why you ask? It sounds cool! Also it supported 512bit
> which seems nice.

  Sorry to pester you, but I'm beginning to realize just how much is
involved here that I'm a newbie at.  Two more questions...

1) If multiple encryption algorithms are enabled in the kernel, how does
the system decide which one to use?

2) I assume that if I want to use the same encrypted USB key on 2 or
more machines, then the kernels of all the machines must be built with
the same encryption algorithms?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>