On Monday, May 05, 2014 08:10:55 AM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 04.05.2014 21:22, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
> > On Sunday, May 04, 2014 09:03:08 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> >> People run KVM-hosts with storage on ZFS ... nice with the
> >> snapshots etc ...
> >
> > Does KVM support running snapshots? Eg. also storing the memory and
> > registers? I have not found any indication that KVM supports that.
> >
> > Without that, KVM is useless to me.
>
> KVM != ZFS ... you could use ZFS with other hypervisors.

I know, comment was about KVM. ZFS is on my list, but I don't want to use files
for the VMs.

> AFAI understand you can take snapshots using libvirt (which in turn
> controls the underlying qemu-kvm etc).

And I found no evidence on memory taken along with the snapshot. Only disk.
(unfortunately)
I will start a new thread about this with the KVM mailing lists later today.

> > I thought the MBR info that's possible with GPT would make it
> > possible with any BIOS? Provided the /boot partition is early enough
> > on the disk.
>
> I had no separate /boot ... just sda1 as "BIOS boot partition",
> unformatted and with partition type ef02 (and sda2 as my gentoo-root).

I have 8300 for my /boot. If I would have that on " / ", I would give that
8300 as type.

> >> ... if your BIOS isn't crappy ;-)
> >
> > Try updating? :)
>
> Never found an update for this box.
>
> -> DMI: Hewlett-Packard HP Elite 7300 Series MT/2AB5, BIOS 7.12 10/12/2011
>
> hints welcome ;-)

I use seperate components for the desktops and a " local " (30 - 40 minute
drive) supplier for server hardware.

I find that cheaper then using the big boys like HP or Dell.

> > Also, the /boot partition needs to have the mbr-boot flag (or
> > whatever it's called) enabled.
>
> Thanks, but I had that as well ... I will skip that stuff and try going
> the UEFI-way later this day, if my customers allow ...

Good luck (with your customers)

--
Joost