Every time I log into gnome I get this annoying error:

I've detected a panal already running, and will now exit.

My wife tells me that she gets the same message when she logs into her
account on this machine.  Is there a way to remedy this problem?  I
checked the gentoo-user archives at GMane searching for 'panel', but
didn't find anything...

A google search turned up another message:

I had this too after I botched a VNC install. I solved it by
purging /tmp and all the config files in my home directory. There is
probably a better way but it was a new install and I didn't have my
files on it anyhow. So try creating a new user with a new home
directory and see if that fixes things.

Don't know if that applies to you, though.