Not to rain on your parade, Walter, but:

 1) In /etc/make.conf set the following entry...
MAKEOPTS="-j1"
    Do *NOT*, I repeat, do *NOT* use higher numbers.  You are begging
for problems if you do so.

I use distcc in my compile farm and have most systems set to -j8 or above. I haven't run into a single issue with the parallel compiles, and have been using this setup for months.

Yes, I will admit that there have been some cases where using a value greater than 1 caused problems, but those should be handled as a single case, not throwing in the towel on higher values all together.

I don't necessarily agree with using "-*" in your USE flags, simply because I think the USE flags in the /etc/make.conf are meant to enhance the builds with options you plan on using. Default USE flags, as identified by the developers, typically are limited to those components that the package needs to function correctly.

And for those things that you really don't want to have, you can always specify the negative USE flag, i.e. "-gnome" to totally disable gnome (which is what I use).

Using "-*" basically says that you know better than the developers, which is a position I wouldn't want to take...

Otherwise the content was fine, but it makes me wonder why it would be necessary. New folks migrating to Gentoo are going to use the handbook, and I don't believe the handbook tells them to enable framebuffer/bootsplash, etc.