Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 5:15 AM,  <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> > Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Moving systemd to /sbin sounds like it's not going to work. Run
> >> readelf -d /usr/lib/systemd/systemd; all the NEEDED libraries on
> >> /usr/lib should be available to the binary at the time it's being
> >> executed.
> >
> > How can I do this, genkernel looks for its init before it mounts /usr
> > and genkernel-next will not mount the separate /usr at all.  My latest
> > initrd is from the very latest genkernel.
>
> With genkernel, I don't know; I never used it. On the other hand,
> dracut is designed to work with systemd; if you use the systemd USE
> flag and the systemd module, it even uses systemd *inside* the
> initramfs.
>
> > But how to get a complete history of systemd actions in the order that
> > they are done, I thought the confirm_spawn would do this for me -- at
> > least for my initial debugging.
>
> The problem obviously is not in systemd, but in the integration of
> genkernel+systemd. I repeat, I never used genkernel, so I don't know
> what you can do.
>
> That being said, "get a complete history of systemd actions in the
> order that they are done" will not tell you much: systemd uses heavy
> parallelization, so in some runs the order in which actions are
> performed will be different from others.
>
> The problem is that if systemd is installed into /usr/lib (which is
> Gentoo's case), then /usr should be mounted before systemd starts.
> That's responsibility of the initramfs, not of systemd, and the
> solution lies in the initramfs, not in systemd.
>
> My only possible recommendation would be for you to try dracut.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Canek Peláez Valdés
> Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

OK, I will try dracut, but I still want to know what systemd is doing,
what processes its spawning, etc.  -- how can I find this out -- I
thought to use the confirm_spawn, but it times out and keeps going, what
can I do instead?

Thanks people for all your responses, this is a great list.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         cov...@ccs.covici.com