On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> On 6/3/2014 11:10 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe. The thing is, this is going to keep happening, as more and more
>> infrastructure migrates towards systemd. Perhaps a news item everytime
>> it happens is unrealistic?
>

> Weren't you the one saying that those of us who were voicing concerns that
> systemd proponents were ultimately wanting to FORCE systemd on everyone were
> just scare-mongering conspiracy theorists?

Who is "forcing"  anything? pm-utils has been unmaintained FOR FIVE
YEARS. Any project that decides to stop using it is making just the
right decision; UPower just did the correct thing. And systemd had
*nothing* to do with it, except for providing a better, more reliable
alternative.

That's what you and many others don't seem to understand: systemd is a
*BETTER* implementation for basically *ALL* the hodgepodge of
"solutions" that we had before in our plumbing layer.

Since systemd provides a better alternative for everything in the
stack just above the kernel, more and more projects (probably) will
start using it exclusively. That is no systemd's fault; they just
worked in a good, integrated solution. Why any project will want to
support multiple alternatives for the same functionality, if systemd
provides the better one, and almost no distribution works without it?
Perhaps if somebody wrote the code they'll do it, but almost all
programmers who know what they are doing refuse to work with anything
else than systemd

You don't like it? Go ahead and take maintainership of pm-utils. Fork
UPower. Make better replacements for the components that systemd
provides.

There is no conspiracy here (although for *SURE* there are
scare-mongering conspiracy theorists); there is only developers
working in the best possible implementation for our plumbing layer,
and other developers realizing that, in Linux at least, supporting
anything besides systemd is a freakin' waste of time and resources.

Again; you don't like it? Then do something about it instead of
posting in *-user lists.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias