On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> In cases like that I would do either of the following:
>
> 1) Run it inside a VM
> 2) run it inside a chroot
>
> That way you can easily keep everything updated except for that application.

Or better still run it inside a container.  Gives you most of the
benefits of both a VM and a chroot.  It isn't as isolated as a VM, but
it is more isolated than just running the thing on your system.  It is
also easy to bind-mount your home directory if that is helpful.  A
container replaces the entire userspace, potentially including init as
well.  So, as long as your kernel is compatible and you're not doing
anything too crazy with devices, this should solve your compatibility
issues.

--
Rich