Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> [14-09-28 20:44]:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 16:13:51 +0200, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > I want to run programs, which insist on haveing a terminal
> > to write their status to and which are writing files which
> > their results on a headless computer (beaglebone).
> >
> > I tried things like
> >
> >     my_program -o file.txt -parameter value > /dev/null &2>&1 &
> >
> > but this results in a idle copy of this process and a defunct
> > child.
>
> nohup may do what you want.
>
> Or you can do it with at, if atd is running
>
> echo "my_program -o file.txt -parameter value" | at now
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> A wok is what you throw at a wabbit.

Hi all,

first of all: Thanks a lot for all offered help and the various
suggested method to acchieve what I wanted... :)

Since the device I use is an embedded system (Beaglebone black) memory
consumption of the software is more important as it is on a fully
blown PC...

The 'nohup' method works for me like a charm! And it is straight
forward and uses less memory.

Best regards,
mcc