On 14/10/2014 19:54, Mick wrote:
Hi All,

This may be slightly off topic, but I thought of asking here first.  I noticed
two problems, one specific to a particular database, the other more general.
In reverse order:

1. I am getting this error when I start mysqld

141014 19:41:38 [Warning] /usr/sbin/mysqld: unknown option '--loose-federated'

Sure enough I seem to have this in /etc/mysql/my.cnf:

# Uncomment this to get FEDERATED engine support
#plugin-load=federated=ha_federated.so
loose-federated

As far as I recall this is a default setting.  Should I change it?

No. I presume that you are not actively using the federated storage engine but let's put that aside because there is more to this error than meets the eye.

Check your MySQL error log and look for any anomalies from the point at which MySQL is started. If you don't know where the log file is, execute "SELECT @@log_error".

I have several questions:

  * Have you started MySQL with skip-grant-tables in effect?
  * Have you upgraded MySQL recently without going through the
    documented upgrade procedure? [1]
  * Have you copied files into MySQL's data directory that originated
    from a different version of MySQL?
  * Have you otherwise removed or modified files in the data directory?

2. A particular database which I have imported locally from a live site gives
me loads of this:

The wording here suggests a broader context that would be relevant. Please be specific as to the circumstances. What procedure did you employ in order to migrate and import the database? What do you mean by "live site"? Which versions of MySQL are running at both source and destination? How are they configured?

141014 19:41:37  InnoDB: Operating system error number 2 in a file operation.
InnoDB: The error means the system cannot find the path specified.
InnoDB: If you are installing InnoDB, remember that you must create
InnoDB: directories yourself, InnoDB does not create them.
141014 19:41:37  InnoDB: Error: trying to open a table, but could not
InnoDB: open the tablespace file
'./website1@002dnew/webform_validation_rule_components.ibd'!
InnoDB: Have you moved InnoDB .ibd files around without using the
InnoDB: commands DISCARD TABLESPACE and IMPORT TABLESPACE?
InnoDB: It is also possible that this is a temporary table #sql...,
InnoDB: and MySQL removed the .ibd file for this.

Is this some error imported from the live site, or is it due to something
being wrong locally?

MySQL believes that an InnoDB table named "webform_validation_rule_components" presently exists in a database named "website1@002dnew" but the corresponding tablespace file does not exist, relative to the MySQL datadir. The reason for this may become clear if you answer the questions posed above.

--Kerin

[1] https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/upgrading-from-previous-series.html (and its predecessors)