Hi all,

When I installed Gentoo, I chose syslog-ng as my system logger.  It was
suggested that I install logrotate to prevent my logfiles from becoming
unmanagageably large.  I did this.  However, my /var/log/messages file
includes logging from the first day that Gentoo was running on my system
and that's now about 2 weeks.

Is there a default length of time before logrotate will rotate the log
files?

This is a gentoo user list, right?  That's what I am - a user.  So don't
laugh at this question.  I was using Fedora Core, so all these things
were automatically set up for me.  I'm not stupid.  Heck, I got Gentoo
installed with only a few hitches, so I can be taught.  However, if
logrotate requires some configuration, I have no idea how to do it, so
would appreciate some help.

Also, does Gentoo have an equivalent to ntsysv where you can set
services to stop and start?  I assume that when you issue the command
rc-update add <program name> default that this essentially is telling
some service to start at boot time.  However, if there is something like
ntsysv available where you can see the services that are running, I
would appreciate being told what it is.

Regards,

Colleen