On Mon, 9 Feb 2015 11:23:52 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> No, I've never used systemd either.  It's useful to be able to read
> /var/log/messages with less, probe it with grep/awk/perl, etc., without
> having to learn some special purpose script language.

journalctl outputs to less (or whatever $PAGER contains) by default or
you can pipe its output to anything else. Running journalctl with no
arguments is the equivalent of cat /var/log/messages.

I do have syslog installed, but that's a holdover from when I was
experimenting with systemd, I really could get rid of it now.

--
Neil Bothwick

How do you know when it's time to tune your bagpipes?