Hello, Matthias.

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 11:06:42AM +0100, Matthias Hanft wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > Do I actually need to configure the name of a log file in
> > /etc/conf.d/syslog-ng?  The Gentoo installation guide didn't mention, or
> > even hint at, such being necessary.

> The names of the log files (and much more) are configured in
> /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf - since I have some special
> configuration there, I don't know if /var/log/syslog is the
> default, but /var/log/messages is a good guess, too.

Yes, I've got a /var/log/messages.  I've even looked at it many times in
the past.  But I didn't know that it was THE system log.  Thanks!

> And (from what I have heard) if you use systemd instead of
> openrc, there are no syslog files at all - you have to export
> them (from some binary database) manually to some human-
> readable format. But I don't know much about that - never
> used systemd on any Gentoo Linux yet.

No, I've never used systemd either.  It's useful to be able to read
/var/log/messages with less, probe it with grep/awk/perl, etc., without
having to learn some special purpose script language.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).