James wrote:
> Hello
>

> So, I've been wanting to test eudev for a while now. I found these
> instructions in many places, so I have it a whirl:
>
> # emerge -Ca udev
> # emerge -1a eudev
> # etc-update
> # emerge @preserved-rebuild
>
> Problem is I had the 'udev' flag set in the make.conf, so it just
> reinstalled udev (216). so I figured I'd better ask about the
> convsion of udev-216 to eudev-1.10-r2  (stable) or if I should
> run eudev-2.1.1 ?
>
> Beside also removing the 'udev' flag, do I have any other issues
> or caveats? I'd like to also go with manually naming the ethernet
> interfaces under eudev; I have not found any specific docs on that
> either.
>
> Discussion and Suggestions are most welcome.
>

> James

I switched a good while back so this may be a bit fuzzy.  I'm running
eudev-2.1.1 here with no issues.  I don't have anything in my USE flag
about udev and everything I plug in is managed just fine.  I'm pretty
sure your commands above is all I used as well.  I don't recall running
anything outside the norm.

Basically, after you switch, the OS doesn't see anything different.  On
mine here, even the init scripts have the same name.  I was sort of
expecting them to change from udev to eudev but it didn't.

If something is pulling udev back in, may want to add the -t option to
emerge and see what is pulling it in.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)