Am Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:10:18 -0600
schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 11:49 AM, <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> >
> > Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > journal

> software,
> > > usually
> > > journalctl.

> them.

> text
> operating
> email.
> read

> can't

> it's
> > > not like
> > > journal.
> getting
> > > the logs
> > > configure
> > > with
> way).

> *not*
> > > a reason

> > > journalctl is
> I'll
> > > never
> the
> > > kind of
> > > regular

> not
> > >
> > > Could you please show those messages? systemd sends *everything* to the
> > > journal, and then the journal (optionally) can send it too to a regular
> > > syslog. In that sense, it's impossible for the journal to miss any
> message.
> > >
> > > The only way in which the journal could miss messages is at very early
> boot
> > > stages; but with a proper initramfs (like the ones generated with
> dracut),
> > > even those get caught. You get to put an instance of systemd and the
> > > journal inside the initramfs, and so it's available almost from the
> > > beginning.
> > >
> > > And if you use gummiboot, then you can even log from the moment the UEFI
> > > firmware comes to life.
> >
> > So, I get lots of messages in my regular syslog-ng /var/log/messages
> > like the following:
> > Feb 23 12:47:52 ccs.covici.com systemd-journal[715]: Forwarding to
> > syslog missed 15 messages.
> >
> > So, I saw a post on Google to up the queue length, and I uped it to 200,
> > but no joy, still get the messages like the one above.
>
> Are you using the unit file provided by syslog-ng (systemd-delta doesn't
> mention syslog)? Also, is /etc/systemd/system/syslog.service is a link
> to /usr/lib/systemd/system/syslog-ng.service?
>
> I do, and I don't get any of those messages. I use the default journal
> configuration. According to [1], this should be fixed.

I remember getting a small number of messages like that, too, on my laptop.
However, it's at the university, so I can't check now to see what types of
messages were missed (if any; if I understand [1] correctly, those messages are
most likely bogus?).

But yeah, that's any idea, Covici: see what's in /var/log/messages, compare that
to the journalctl output, and check if any messages were actually missed ("diff
-U" might be of help here).  And if/once you did that, what kinds of messages
were missed, if any?  If those messages really are bogus, you shouldn't see any
differences between the two.

> Regards.
>
> https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng/issues/314

Note that that fix would only be in the ~arch version of syslog-ng, the current
stable version (3.4.8) is a few months too old.

--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup