On 22/03/15 22:12, Philip Webb wrote:
150322 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 22/03/15 17:58, Philip Webb wrote:
If you have multiple users,
you don't want some rogue user rebooting randomly
You can't stop a local user from doing that.
As mentioned, the reset button works just fine.  You really do want
those users to reboot the system properly rather than pressing reset.
Environments where the machine is locked away
with only the keyboard being accessible are far less common
than people sitting in front of the actual machine.

We're picturing different set-ups : I'm thinking of a campus system,
where the machine is in a locked room accessible to the sysadmin (root)
& users log in somewhere else via machines which act as terminals ;
you are perhaps refering to a family or small-office machine,
where there are no other means of access, but users log in separately.
You are correct in the latter case.

Well, remote logins can't reboot with ctrl+alt+del. That's reserved only for the users using the actual console. Meaning the keyboard hooked up to the machine with the PS/2 or USB cable.

SSH login or thin clients can't reboot. If you press ctrl+alt+del on the terminal machine, that's only going to reboot the terminal machine. We had such a setup using Sun Rays in the past. Non-console logins are getting the full security treatment.