On Saturday 04 Apr 2015 13:32:28 lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a pppoe client, no server part necessary, to replace the
> black-box router because that thing sucks.
>
> Which package would you recommend?  There seem to be at least two I
> could use:
>

> net-dialup/ppp
> net-dialup/rp-pppoe
>

> I'd like to see some connection statistics, i. e. the connection should
> be active 24/7, and I want to know when it's interrupted and
> re-established, preferably with good error reporting.  It would suffice
> when I get an email telling me that the connection is down/up.

I have used net-dialup/ppp to handle the authentication with the ISP's RADIUS
server, but retained the ADSL modem (or router in fully bridged mode) which
performed the ATM encapsulation, on a G.DMT (ITU G.992.1) connection.

I used /etc/conf.d/net to configure ppp like so, while :
#PPPoE configuration
config_enp11s0=null
config_ppp0="ppp"
link_ppp0="enp11s0"
plugins_ppp0="pppoe"
username_ppp0='my_ISP_user_name'
password_ppp0='my_secret_passwd'
hide-password
pppd_ppp0="
noauth
defaultroute
usepeerdns
holdoff 3
child-timeout 60
lcp-echo-interval 15
lcp-echo-failure 3
#debug
noaccomp noccp nobsdcomp nodeflate nopcomp novj novjccomp"
#
rc_net_need_ppp0="net.enp11s0"

enp11s0 is the NIC with which I connected to the ADSL modem.

Your ISP should offer some settings in case the above are not appropriate for
your connection.

--
Regards,
Mick