Heiko Baums <li...@baums-on-web.de> writes:

> Am 04.04.2015 um 14:32 schrieb lee:
>> Which package would you recommend?  There seem to be at least two I
>> could use:
>>

>> net-dialup/ppp
>> net-dialup/rp-pppoe
>
> I used rp-pppoe. I found it easier to configure. ppp is installed as a
> dependency anyway.

So there isn't really a choice and rp-pppoe is some kind of additional
thing?  What are its advantages?

>> I'd like to see some connection statistics, i. e. the connection should
>> be active 24/7, and I want to know when it's interrupted and
>> re-established, preferably with good error reporting.  It would suffice
>> when I get an email telling me that the connection is down/up.
>
> If your ISP doesn't disconnect you the connection usually stays active
> as long as you want resp. the computer is running.

That's the idea, and in practise, the connection is interrupted rather
frequently.  I'm pretty sure the router sucks and contributes to the
problem.  If it's not only the router, that's just another thing they
need to fix.

Currently, I'm taking my money back from them until they fix the
problems, and they don't even notice:  Fee internet for me --- though
I'd rather have it working.

> I don't know anything about the other features (anymore) but with
> rp-pppoe you get at least the same error messages/logs as with ppp.

Hm, I think I'll start with ppp then.

> You can also use net-misc/networkmanager. If you're using a desktop
> environment then you can also install gnome-extra/nm-applet for GTK
> based desktops or a similar package for KDE. This way you always see the
> connection status in the systray. And it's easier to configure.
>
> With networkmanager you can also easily choose and switch between
> different connection types like Ethernet, WLAN, DSL, Mobile Broadband,
> VPN etc.

Networkmanager sucks, it overwrites /etc/resolv.conf and does all kinds
of weird things.  Maybe it's useful when you need to switch between
connections all the time; that's not what I'm doing.  I'm not using kde
or gnome, either.

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.