This is a re-send of a message I sent earlier today but which seems not to
have appeared on the list - well, I have changed it a bit:

On Tuesday 07 April 2015 23:19:18 I wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 April 2015 15:02:36 walt wrote:
> > >
> > > --->8

> > Any reason you don't want to use march=native?
>
> Not that I can think of now. I'll try it - thanks, both of you.

Countless CPU cycles later, I have now reinstalled my complete system with
-march=native. It took several iterations.

Meanwhile,I had another problem to keep me amused - KMail decided I'd
deleted the folder into which it receives all inbound mail. I hadn't, of
course, but suddenly my 13000 mails were gone - vanished. So I had to create
a new user and import them all from the previous day's backup. Tedium -
yawn...

Still, all my filters have gone, and I'll have to define new ones as I need
them. Oh well, I suppose it's about time I cleaned them out.

Back to the original theme, I'd been experimenting with -j and -l make
options, and I suspect that was my real problem. I finished up with "-j -l20"
on this i5 box, with startling results - 56 emerges in parallel for
instance. I suspect that my problem stemmed from this.

All now seems stable so far with -j12 and no -l specified. Satisfactory CPU
utilisation and the all-important stability.

So no, perl isn't broken  :)

--
Rgds
Peter