On Saturday, April 11, 2015 08:42:20 PM Alan Grimes wrote:
> Andreas K. Huettel wrote:

<snipped>

> > > 2. LD cannot find ncurses, -- It simply can't, in 64 bit mode either.
> > > That is the only error message it ever gives and vast amount of effort
> > > spent in sessions over the last year and a half have failed to find any
> > > solution. I only installed Gentoo on this machine four and a half years
> > > ago so it's hard to imagine what could have gotten this royally foobar
> > > in such a short period.
> >
> > If you kept your system updated all the time, you shouldnt have any
> > problems.
>
> Byte me.
>
> Linux is crap, it takes all the talent I have to keep this piece of junk
> running. =( I'm the user here, I am not going to take any lip from you
> about how I run my system. =|  I put a great deal more work into
> maintaining my system than most of the rest of you.

If that is your opinion of Linux, why use it?

> > > The ncurses problem has been a low-level
> > > issue for a long time but, with tinfo set, 99% of packages worked.
> >
> > Define low-level issue. What was broken all the time that you ignored?
>
> Busybox, valgrind, a number of other minor packages.

Cause for these is in your make.conf, see below.

> > > 2. It sent out a profile that sets variable ABI_x86 with 32 bit enabled.
> > > ALARM: ABI_x86 should be set in exactly one place:
> > > /etc/portage/make.conf and nowhere else. But, nevertheless, ABI_x86 WAS
> > > set which broke the profile because my system cannot compile 32 bit
> > > executables. =( I tried the no-multilib profile but it didn't have a
> > > number of essential useflags and was foobar.
> >
> > You're still not providing the slightest bit of useful information.
> >
> > What happens if you try to generate a 32bit executable?
>
> Fails completely due to linking errors even though it should always be
> possible to compile something without its binary dependencies (with only
> the headers) because symbol resolution should take place at load time. =|

Cause is in your make.conf. See below.

> > What gcc are you using, with what settings?
>
> By all appearances, Emerge identifies the most broken version of
> everything it can find and uses that without providing any user feedback.

Cause is in your make.conf. See below.

> Here's my make.conf, some lines might be changed because I have been
> struggling to find a working configuration.
>

> /etc/portage # cat /etc/portage/make.conf
> # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
> # built this stage.
> # Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
> # detailed example.
> CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native -pipe "

Most people tend to put -O2. Not much point to use -O3.

> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
>
> LDFLAGS="-lncurses "

You're forcing ncurses into every single package. Please remove this.

> MAKEOPTS="-j 6"
>
> # WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
> # Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before
> changing.
> CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
>
> INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
>
> LINGUAS="en en_US"
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"

You are running "unstable". This requires more effort on your part.
I would suggest switching back to "stable", eg. loose the " ~amd64 ".
NOTE: You either need to spend a lot of effort to bring everything back to
stable over time (see the archives) or start with a fresh installation.

> ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
>
> # These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided
> by the
> # profile used for building.
> USE="3dnow 3dnowext amr apache2 ares audiofile autoipd avahi bittorrent
>      blender-game bmp boost c++0x caps cdio cg cgi clang cpudetection
> css curl
>      custom-cflags custom-tune debugger declarative device-mapper dga
>      discouraged dolbyinrec double-precision drm evdev expat extras fbcon
>      ffcall ffmpeg fftw firmware fluidsynth fontconfig foomaticdb freeimage
>      ftp g3dvl gbm gflags gfortran ggz gl glade glut gmp gnome gphoto2
>      graphviz gsl gstreamer gtk3 heterogeneous high-ints hpijs hwdb icu ide
>      imlib ithreads jadetex java jit joystick jpeg2k kde kdrive lame lapack
>      libffi libkms libwww llvm-shared-libs lm_sensors lua lzo matroska
>      mdnsresponder-compat metis midi minizip mmap mms mmxext mozilla mp3rtp
>      mpeg2 multicore multilib multislot mysql nas natspec netpbm nowin
>      nsplugin ode ogre ois okteta openal opencl openexr openssl opus orc pae
> parport pch pcre16 perl pgo plasma posix postproc povray
> private-headers
>      pulseaudio python python3 qml qthelp quicktime r600-llvm-compiler
>      reiserfs script sdk seamonkey secure-delete semantic-desktop server
> sftp
>      sip smp soprano sql sqlite sse2 sse3 sse4 static-ppds subversion
>      system-boost system-cairo system-icu system-jpeg system-libvpx
>      system-sqlite t1lib theora threads threadsafe threadsonly tk
>      unlock-notify upnp upnp-av userlocales utempter uuid uvm uxa v4l vcd
>      video videos vnc webkit xine xmp xvfb xvmc yuv4mpeg zeroconf -bluetooth
> -bundled-libs -dso -examples -libav -odbc -samba -vlc tinfo"

Why do you add all these USE-flags into your make.conf?
Have you heard about "package.use" ?

> CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse2_4way 3dnow 3dnowext sse sse2 sse3 sse4"
>
> RUBY_TARGETS="ruby20 ruby21 ruby22 ruby24"

These are set in your profile, please do not override this.
In other words, please remove this line.

> GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc efi-64"
>
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=1 --quiet-build=n --verbose"
>
> FEATURES="sandbox distlocks nostrip parallel-fetch userfetch userpriv
> usersandbox splitdebug -preserve-libs"
>
> PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--progress"
>
> VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia radeonsi radeon"
>
> source /var/lib/layman/make.conf
>
> PYTHON_TARGETS="${PYTHON_TARGETS} python2_7 python3_4"
> PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7"

These are set in your profile, please do not override this.
In other words, please remove these 2 lines.

> ABI_X86="64 32"
>
> GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/";
>
> /etc/portage #
>

> Hmm, I don't remember when that ldflags got set, must have been a long
> time ago. =\

With the make.conf the way you set it, you caused all the breakages you have
been experiencing.

--
Joost