On 17.05.2015 22:48, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 8:36 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <li...@xunil.at> wrote:
>> tl;dr ... maybe you listed some reason to stick with mdadm/lvm2/xfs etc
>> ... sorry in that case
>
> I didn't. 2 disks with RAID1/LVM, 2 disks (maybe) with ZFS. Pairs
> because by board has 2 SATA channels, otherwise i'd go RAID5 and gain
> an extra TB.
> BTRFS seems a bit unstable at the moment (i could be wrong).

not for your use-case = RAID1

-> google for Chris Mason, btrfs, stable ...

Ok, it is not as tested as XFS or ext4 ... but stable enough for
desktops with a few disks (avoid RAID5/6 for now, yes .. but lev1 should
be fine already).

btrfs is in development still, sure (all other fs are in development as
well ;) ).

-

So if you decide for it, keep your kernel and btrfs-progs updated  ...
and an eye on the btrfs-mailing-list(s). And don't overdo with the
snapshots ( ... 10, ok ... hundreds, hmm ... ).

backups ... no comment needed, right?

There were problems with btrfs and the kernel a few months ago (Rich
Freeman was hit by that, maybe he chimes in here), but in general for me
it is still a very positive experience.

I run it on 2 servers with RAID1-setups, a desktop with an SSD and a
RAID1 for 2 hdds ... and on two laptops with dualboot-setups ... after
the initial learning phase I am basically just using it and happy.

No more re-partitioning hassle  ... checksums overall ... snapshots if
you want ... etc etc

For example I cloned my working rootfs into a separate btrfs-subvolume,
and rebuilt everything in there (using systemd-nspawn ... off-topic
here) ... and then switched over to that rootfs by simply adding a new
gummiboot entry.

As you ordered 2 ssds right now this seems a perfect opportunity to
start over and test something "new" (btrfs is in the linux kernel since
2009).

good luck, have fun, Stefan