On Tuesday 19 May 2015 08:54:26 Rich Freeman wrote:

> >> I also have a spare external hard disk, which I could experiment with
> >> for snapshots etc.
> >
> > Snapshots are subvolumes in btrfs, so they stay in the same filesystem.
> > That's why they are so fast.
> >
> > It's a similar situation with ZFS.
>
> Yup.  In both cases they're copy-on-write, so they don't consume
> additional space except to the extent that things change.
>
> Also, in both cases you can serialize a snapshot (either in its
> entirety or as a diff vs a previous snapshot) and store it on separate
> storage.  This is mainly done for backup (storing the serialized
> files) or replication (replaying them onto another server with the
> same filesystem).
>
> But, neither ZFS nor btrfs are without issue on Linux, so I'd use care
> in a production environment.  The btrfs issues tend to revolve around
> stability, and the zfs issues tend to revolve around dealing with
> out-of-mainline code and legal/license issues.

Well, this is my toy desktop, so no risk to fame and fortune there. By /toy/,
of course, I mean I play with it, not that it's a Mickey-Mouse setup (which
some of you pros out there might think it is anyway, but that's another
story).

Some people will remember that I had a fling with f2fs on my little Atom LAN
server some months ago; I don't think I'll be using that this time!

Incidentally, what's the received wisdom on frequency of file-system trimming
on SSDs these days? I've seen values quoted between twice a day and once a
week. And how does trimming affect btrfs?

Hmm. Looks like I'm hijacking Nuno's thread. Apologies if that's ruffled any
feathers, but I think I'm still on-topic, more or less, and he may still be
interested in the conversation.

-
Rgds
Peter