So many replies!

On 06/08/2015 11:22 AM, Mick wrote:
> On Monday 08 Jun 2015 13:03:53 James wrote:
>> Franz Fellner <alpine.art.de <at> gmail.com> writes:

I cleaned it when I took it apart and reapplied thermal paste (which
worked wonders on the CPU and northbridge - idles at 35C ish now.)

> My laptop gets hot on big package emerge-fests, so on hot summer days I use a
> desk fan to blow air at it from the side.  The cooling effect is noticeable,
> 4-5°C, or more if I recall right.

I think I'm going to invest in one of those cooling "docks". There does
appear to be vents in the general area of the southbridge chip, just no
fan or heatsink. This laptop is still working fine, as in I don't notice
hardware spottiness, so I'd rather not replace it. The processor itself
is fine speed-wise. I'd rather spend $20 on a cooler versus $1000+ on a
laptop. Cause I know when I go get one it'll be a quad core. :-)

I've also set up a distcc farm with 16 threads, that speeds compiling
right along. :-)

> I also use a vacuum cleaner to suck out any dust from cooling fins and the
> entrance to CPU cooler once a week or so.

I don't have pets any more, after the last pet died I didn't want to
repeat the anguish. So I'm lucky in that regard, I don't get fuzz in the
laptop. I was surprised how clean the fins on the heat pipe were,
actually...

> This has kept it going for some years now (keeps fingers crossed).

I hope to get a few more years out of this laptop. Lately I don't even
really use it that much compared to a year ago. Usually I set it up next
to my desktop when systemd fails on my main machine after an upgrade
(which has happened a few times in the past few months.)

Dan