Am Sun, 07 Jun 2015 15:15:14 -0700
schrieb Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> Not really Gentoo-related (well except the overheating part - lots of
> compiling ;-) )
>
> I have a very old laptop. It is an LG F1 laptop (circa 2005/2006 I
> believe) about nine years old. This has a Core2 1.6GHz chip and 4GB RAM,
> even though it only sees 3GB (that should tell you it's pretty old!)
>
> Anyway, I noticed during my last compile-fest on my laptop (reinstalled,
> switched to systemd for testing) that a corner of the laptop is getting
> really hot. We are talking a fair bit of heat here, you can't keep it on
> your lap when it warms up.
>
> So I took it apart yesterday, figuring I should re-do the thermal paste.
> During this process, I discovered it's the southbridge ICH chip that's
> overheating. There's no cooler at all on this chip (the northbridge and
> CPU have heat piping), it's a bare chip.
>
> Now, I suspect there's not much I can do about this given it being a
> laptop and I might have to resign myself to the fact that I'm going to
> have to buy a laptop later this year/early next year.
>
> I am curious though, what causes this chip to overheat, and can I do
> something about it?
>
> I'm using lm_sensors, which doesn't provide a temperature for this
> particular chip. I've monitored processes and nothing really stands out.
> I've even tried disabling plasma, no luck.
>
> Dan

With a Fujitsu Lifebook A530 that I lent from the University I had the problem
that it can overheat and actually shut down.  However, I semi-recently
discovered thermald, which has (in its default configuration state)
successfully kept it from overheating.  It can still get hot where the CPU is
(sensors say around 80°C), but never enough to actually overheat and shut down,
and with long running emerges, it gets more proactive such that the laptop
starts cooling down by 10-20°.  Maybe this tool can help further (especially if
you configure it explicitly)?

HTH
--
Marc Joliet