> What do you think about this? Does it have a chance to work?

I don't think it stands a snowball's chance in ...  Well, you get the idea.

Sascha, I'm thinking that if you start with a bare-bones handbook install
you'll have a minimum system, at least for gentoo support.  It won't have X,
desktops, many of the services & tools, etc.

If you're thinking about an embedded device (i.e. a router) then you
wouldn't want to use a source-based install like gentoo on it, you'd either
want to use a binary distribution (many examples of minimum linux
distributions out there, check http://www.distrowatch.com for variations) or
you could create a home-brew distribution from a customized setup based upon
gentoo, but a hand-generated distrib could be difficult to pull together
(difficult to identify all of necessary files that must be on the distro).