hw <h...@gartencenter-vaehning.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> suppose I have a number of images that need to be displayed side by
> side in a nice layout.  The images are of different sizes and have
> different aspect ratios.
>
> To fit the images into the layout, I can scale the images either by
> height or width or by percantage, and they will look messy in the
> layout because I need to keep their aspect ratio when scaling them.
>
> So what I need to do is put a frame around each image just as needed
> when scaling it so that I will end up with all the images having the
> same size while maintaining their aspect ratio.
>
> I guess 'convert' (from imagemagick) or 'ffmpeg' can do this, yet I
> couldn't find out how.
>

> (In this particular case, I would set a default size to scale all
> images to rather than doing something more complicated like examine
> all images in advance to compute a good size to use from the largest
> or smallest one or from their average dimensions.)
>

> Any ideas how to do this?

You maybe can use media-gfx/graphicsmagick or media-gfx/imagemagick
for that purpose (I prefer graphicsmagick because it's faster).

With the composite command and it's repage parameter it should be
possible to do what you want. But I'm not sure about this, I never
done this by myself.

--
Regards
wabe