Hello,

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 16:45:58 +0200, David Haller wrote:
>> >You can also start USE with -* in make.conf to turn everything off then
>> >set your own choices. This is the ideal setup for those who prefer to
>> >spend more time fixing their computer than using it.
>
>> Hey, I got no printer, had others print about 5 pages for me in ~10
>> years. Why would I want cups?
>
>You do know that only the desktop profiles include cups as a default USE
>flag? The one I recommended does not.

Try compiling icedtea, libreoffice, scribus and whatnot without
pulling in cups, no matter the use-flags. And "sabotaging" the ebuild
and buildsystem to not use cups leads to failed builds, BT,TriedThat :((

ATM, I just juggle it around. Install cups/cups-filter/ghostscript
with cups-flag, build icedtea/libreoffice/scribus, remove
cups/cups-filter, rebuild ghostscript without cups and ignore any
dependency errors on cups ;-P I do not care one bit about printing not
working, as long as the programs run.

Speaking of that, is there a gentoo-way, to link _some_ specific libs
(cups) statically to a program that won't run without it? I don't care
about a 'emerge cups/build program and link statically to cups/unmerge
cups' cycle.

Oh, yes, I did search on gentoo.org and generally, apparently, icedtea
just won't build without cups. icedtea-bin also yammers for cups:

!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: net-print/cups-2.0.2-r1
 *  - /usr/lib64/libcups.so.2
 *      used by /opt/icedtea-bin-7.2.5.3/jre/lib/amd64/headless/libmawt.so
(dev-java/icedtea-bin-7.2.5.3)
 *      used by /opt/icedtea-bin-7.2.5.3/jre/lib/amd64/xawt/libmawt.so
(dev-java/icedtea-bin-7.2.5.3)
 *      used by /usr/bin/scribus (app-office/scribus-1.5.0-r1)
 *      used by 2 other files

As long as programs run, I'll get the big stick ;) Scribus seems to
work. Still gotta test the Java stuff ... Moving stuff to a subfolder
like ".attic" works nicely though in such cases, also inside
*/portage/*[1] for ebuilds ;)

All this is not a problem with gentoo, it's a problem with upstream.

Why does a GUI (a USER INTERFACE Toolkit fer f*** sake! Not a Printer
Interface!) _ALWAYS_ be able to print (if I interpret the AWT right)?
That's just dumb. Oh well, not your problem, but I fear the patch to
remove the cups dep would be large and tedious at best to maintain
which is why the icedtea maintainers gave up on it, as far as I've
found. *sigh* Anyway, I still got some questions about JDKs on gentoo,
but that's for another day and another thread.

BTW: I might sound like an ass demanding stuff, it's just that I'm a
    "old-time" (15+ years) of roll-your-own-package guy, just not
    really on gentoo thus far. Actually, systemd beyond an init was
    the point where I said to myself: no way. I've been reading this
    list for quite a while now (a bit in 2010, then very little, and
    now quite a lot), and I've already got e.g. you and Neil (just
    from today) on my "like" list, so to speak, always helpful,
    patient ... Been doing that kind of support elsewhere for a long
    time too, so I much appreciate you doing it here and help me with
    pointers.

Sorry, I'm having such a go at you, feel free to point me to
documentation (even vaguely, just a good search word), to another
thread etc. pp. I admit, I haven't searched for [1][2], but the other
stuff I did at least a site search on gentoo.org.

Thanks,
-dnh

PS: I hope I'll soon get into the roll and co-maintain that odd
    package here or there ;) I've been maintaining packages elsewhere,
    and ebuild stuff looks quite straightforward, I'm just still
    running into details a bit too often for my taste.

[1] speaking of that: I noticed, that when I bork[2] an ebuild in
    /usr/local/portage, it gets silently(!) ignored and the one from
    /usr/portage is used. The only indication is the flag on the
    package e.g. ::gentoo vs. ::local. Only once I move the gentoo
    ebuilds into e.g. the .attic subfolder, emerge tells me what's
    actually wrong with my ::local ebuild in /usr/local/portage. Have
    I overlooked an option of emerge or is that a bug?

[2] trivial stuff. Using 'foo? ( >=libfoo-1.2.3 )' without adding foo to
    IUSE, or missing the () around the dep after the useflag... That's
    those I run into most often so far ;) And emerge even tells you
    about it once you disable the ::gentoo main portage ;)

--
"Getting a penguin to pee on demand is _messy_."  -- Linus Torvalds