On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 18:35:32 +0200, David Haller wrote:

> >You do know that only the desktop profiles include cups as a default
> >USE flag? The one I recommended does not.
>
> Try compiling icedtea, libreoffice, scribus and whatnot without
> pulling in cups, no matter the use-flags. And "sabotaging" the ebuild
> and buildsystem to not use cups leads to failed builds, BT,TriedThat :((

The OP wanted to set up a "snappier" system. Java and LibreOffice are
not the first programs that spring to mind when I think snappier...

> Why does a GUI (a USER INTERFACE Toolkit fer f*** sake! Not a Printer
> Interface!) _ALWAYS_ be able to print (if I interpret the AWT right)?
> That's just dumb.

No argument there.

> [1] speaking of that: I noticed, that when I bork[2] an ebuild in
>     /usr/local/portage, it gets silently(!) ignored and the one from
>     /usr/portage is used. The only indication is the flag on the
>     package e.g. ::gentoo vs. ::local. Only once I move the gentoo
>     ebuilds into e.g. the .attic subfolder, emerge tells me what's
>     actually wrong with my ::local ebuild in /usr/local/portage. Have
>     I overlooked an option of emerge or is that a bug?

ebuild /usr/local/portage/cat/pkg/pkg-x.y.ebuild merge

will use the specific ebuild you give it.

--
Neil Bothwick

Got kleptomania? Be sure to take something for it.