On 07/12/2015 03:40 PM, James wrote:

> Makes sense; but I cannot find the file. I get lots of hits for a
> "configure.in" in my code trees, but little on the rest of the system; here
> are the few:

It doesn't get installed. Just like how ./configure creates your
Makefile, there's something that the upstream author runs to create the
"configure" script. That thing used to be called configure.in, but now
configure.ac is preferred.

You can file a bug upstream. They might not know the old name is
deprecated. Here's the reference:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2013-06/msg00009.html

I quote:

  - Automake 2.0 will drop support for the long-deprecated
  'configure.in' name for the Autoconf input file.  You are advised to
  start using the recommended name 'configure.ac' instead, ASAP.