Hello, Gentoo.

Over the course of the last 24 hours, Firefox 38.1.0 became stable in
portage, so I merged it in.

What a mistake!

All my existing configuration (including for NoScript+), all my
bookmarks, all record of previous visits to site - gone, deleted,
vanished.  I'm not happy about that.

The usability of the program has gone down, down, down.  Not a lot seems
to work properly, anymore.  For example, it used to be that you could
mark a selection of "your" cookies then delete them in one operation.
Now you have to mark a single cookie and delete it, mark the next cookie
and delete it, ....  Even the screen area where the current URL is
displayed is now displayed in low-contrast miniscule type, so that I can
barely read it.

What on earth are the upstream developers thinking about?  Destroying
somebody's configuration is not a nice thing to do.

I've a feeling that all this must have been discussed here quite
recently, so apologies if I'm dredging up old stuff.  Still, a
recommendation as to how I might proceed would be welcome.  Should I go
back to 31.8.0 and stay there, or would I be better going with some fork
of firefox?

Has my old config/cookies/... actually been physically destroyed, or is
it just being disregarded by 38.1.0?  Looking at my ~/.mozilla/firefox
doesn't give me much hope.

Yours, in anger.
--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).